If you read my blog you may have been seeing my posts about trying to make everything appear perfect in the house. I had planned on having everything completed by noon today with the remainder of the day for cooking and decorating. As happens so often, when we carefully plan, life makes other arrangements.
Wednesday I got a phone call that a friend of our oldest son had died in a wreck. We had been close friends with his family since the kids were little fellas but had lost touch lately except through FaceBook. We are still close friends with his father in law and mother in law, and see them every few weeks and it would never occur to us to not acknowledge his passing. So last night I stopped cleaning to make some food to help with their extended family lunch today and this afternoon I went to a funeral for a young man who died too soon and leaving a young widow and 2 young daughters and a broken hearted mom, dad, brother and sister. While I was going through the receiving line at the visitation before the services his dad hugged me, told me old friends are the greatest friends, and said nothing mattered but hugging my boys.
On the way home I was getting cranked up because I was sitting at a dead stop on the interstate, making a mental list of things I had not finished yet. In the middle of the stand still I mentally heard Bob's voice saying again, nothing mattered except hugging my boys. The frenzy I had been feeling was gone and replaced by an internal peace, because life is uncertain and nothing matters except hugging my sons, dil and of course granddaughter. The house is pretty darn clean and it might not be exactly what I envisioned, but instead of seeing something askew or not quite perfect I am going to heed Bob's advice and know that nothing matters except hugging them and enjoying our time together. Because Nothing. Else. Matters
I know his entire family would give anything in this world to have Thanksgiving in a crappy dirty house all together instead of facing the empty place at the table. So I am now ashamed that I believed for even one moment that this Herculean cleaning frenzy was necessary. We will be together and laugh and enjoy each other, and eat too much, and since I have sons will have some toilet humor, loud sounds and unseemly fragrances and it will be enough and it will be good!

0 Yorumlar